The Government Sources of Information

For Live-In Caregivers 


  AddThis Social Bookmark Button  

Back To Registration Page


The Live-in Program

The Live-in Caregiver Program was established by the Canadian government to assist  its citizens to receive help with taking care of their loved ones . A foreign caregiver is  brought into the Canada where a lack of Canadian professional caregivers are available.

To take part in this government program certain steps must be taken. 

Please click here to find out exactly how the Live-in Caregiver Program works according to the HRSDC (Human Resources and Skill Development Canada).

 Please note that sections 2 and 3 of the hiring steps are a part of the services we provide for you , as your chosen caregiving agency.

To determine if you are eligible for hiring a foreign live-in caregiver please review:

Requirements from Future Employer:

1.The job employer's offer must contain caregiving duties for a senior, elderly or disabled person in a private household.

2. The employer must provide acceptable working conditions, reasonable duties and fair market wages. They must also provide accommodation that ensures privacy, such as a private room with a lock on the door.

3. A live-in caregiver is protected by employment standards legislation in most provinces and territories. Therefore, Live-in employees are entitled to days off each week, statutory holidays, extra pay for overtime work and a salary that meets at least the minimum wage.

4. The requirements state that sufficient advertising efforts must be conducted by the employer in order to find qualified Canadians or foreign workers already in Canada before applying to hire foreign live-in caregivers.

5. The employment must be full-time and the Employer is not allowed to share the Caregiver's services with another Employer.

Back To Registration Page


Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

Live-in Caregiver Program:


Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC)
Live-in Caregiver Program:

Ontario:  416-954-3111


Service Canada Centres



Canada Customs and Revenue Agency

Toll-Free:  1-800-959-5525


Ontario Ministry of Labour

Employment Standards:



Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board:

Toronto:  (416) 344 -1007

Toll-Free: 1-800-387-0080



Application for a Work Permit:


Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada:

Toronto:  416-973-4444

Toll-Free: 1-888-242-2100



Back To Registration Page